Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Dad

Dad was a fun father - he taught us how to play while getting the work done (singing r-a-g-g m-o-p-p while mopping the floor) and play while spending almost nothing, and instilled in us a love of love of music and nature and craftmanship. Dad's been gone since December 2007 and I miss him. He did a long 3-year battle with prostate cancer that was diagnosed too late. Men!! Get regular prostate checkups - it's not too big of a deal caught early. Save your family some heart-ache. Ok, there's my commercial.

Anyway, I have been lucky and have 2 dads in my life, so yesterday my husband, kids & I journeyed nearly 200 miles one-way to see my step-dad with the car loaded with a repaired dishwasher for him and a cooler full of food for brunch. We only had 2 kids in the car with us but they provided excellent entertainment. We spent much of the drive time reminiscing about the "old days" when we would travel with all 5. Those were the days....there wasn't quite as much laughing when they were younger and we were a brand new family struggling to mesh. In fact, those rides could be quite grouchy!

No sewing yesterday, but I did work on planning my next project during the drive. I want to do a couple of Priority quilts to honor my uncle (dad's brother) who is battling Alzheimer's. Recently, I bought 2 copies of Forgetting Piece by Piece and sent one to my aunt and kept the other for myself. The art is beautiful and the story accompanying each piece incredibly moving. The quilts I send will be auctioned off and the proceeds donated to research to find a cure for this disease.

No pix today --- brought the camera yesterday and never took it out of the bag!

Have a great day all!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment